- Oil-free – risk-free. Medical Air Plants with oil-free compressors offer zero risk of contaminating pipelines; zero risk of damaging connected equipment (e.g., anesthesia machines); and zero risk of damaging your hard-won professional reputation.
- Energy efficient – As the manufacturer of all the components (compressors, purifiers, control system, etc.) in our Medical Air Plant, our complete system packages fully integrate functions between components. For example, digital communication between components achieves up to a 50% reduction of dryer working time.
- Unsurpassed purity – Built to exacting standards, Atlas Copco’s Medical Air Plant is engineered to provide certified medical air, even in situations where the air intake may contain high concentrations of ambient pollution. The multi-stage filtration system ensures patient safety in “worst-case,” but real-life, pollution scenarios. With the assurance of worldwide after-sales support and service, our air plant systems offer the complete solution for all critical medical air applications.
- Redundancy scheme – The Medical Air Plant complying with ISO 7396-1 and HTM 02-01 is provided with at least two standby compressors and one backup purifier; i.e., the design flow of a system with three compressors is provided by a single compressor and one dryer. Our plant complying with HTM 2022 is provided with at least one standby compressor; i.e., the design flow of a system with two compressors is provided by a single compressor.
- Widest range – We offer the widest range of pressure (up to 13 bar) and flow (up to 200 l/s), using four different technologies to produce 100% oil-free air: piston – tooth – scroll – water injected.
The critical field of patient care requires that ultra-clean, purified medical air is delivered to operating theatres and hospital beds with absolute reliability. The medical air supply in a hospital is a vital life-support service, maintaining respiration of the critically ill during mechanical ventilation. When it comes to people, you can’t afford to compromise, which is why oil-free compressed air is the obvious choice.
A reliable source of medical air is critical to patient safety. The Atlas Copco Medical Air Plant is based on specially designed, reliable medical scroll compressors and dryers that provide an uninterrupted air supply in critical situations. If the central controller should fail, every element of the system still has its own controller. Every compressor/dryer is subject to comprehensive quality assurance controls and is fully tested prior to dispatch.
The medical sector is more tightly regulated than ever before. Atlas Copco’s Medical Air Plant is precertified to international regulations, including Pharmacopoeia and quality norms such as ISO 13485. Precertification simplifies organization and inspection by regulatory bodies, saving the hospital time and money and reducing the risk of system rework to satisfy requirements. Our Medical Air Plant complies with the most demanding standards and regulations such as:
** Medical Device Directive MDD 93/42/EEC.
** EN ISO 7396-1.
** ISO 14971.
** Health Technical Memorandums HTM 02-01 and HTM 2022.
Furthermore, it is designed and manufactured according to ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and the ISO 13485:2003 quality management system.
Oil-free – a choice you can make
When it comes to clean medical air for a hospital, you can’t afford to compromise. Atlas Copco, a pioneer in oil-free rotary screw technology, is known for its range of compressors designed especially for applications that require oil-free air. Atlas Copco is the world’s first compressor manufacturer to receive certification for a new industry standard of air purity – ISO 8573-1 CLASS 0 – that is now available for medical applications.
Online tool assists with correct sizing of Medical Air Plants
Atlas Copco has developed an advanced medical air plant calculation tool that assists with the correct selection of a medical air plant according to the different medical gas standards of ISO 7396-1, HTM 02-01 or HTM 2022.
It is a common task for hospital engineers, developers or medical specialists to select the appropriate components for a hospital’s medical air plant. To help with this often complex task, Atlas Copco introduces a new medical air plant calculation tool. This software tool assists with selecting the size and quantity of the compressors needed, as well as the medical purifiers and the vessels for a specified flow requirement.